Through the support of a National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) AMTech Planning Grant, an industry-led sustainable steel consortium has been developed and is titled the Steel Manufacturing Simulation and Visualization Consortium (SMSVC). The consortium is focused on supporting the development and implementation of simulation and visualization technologies to address major technological issues and related barriers that inhibit the growth of advanced manufacturing in the steel industry.
To be the institute of choice for developing and applying advanced computer simulation and visualization technologies to ensure a competitive advantage for U.S. steel manufacturing.
To develop and implement innovative technical solutions through the integration of advanced computer simulation and visualization technologies for the value chain of U.S. steel manufacturing.
Integrity, effectiveness, practical application, and people.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Workplace & process safety
- Energy efficiency
- Operational efficiency
- Reliability and maintenance
- Workforce development
- Environmental impacts
- Raw materials utilization
- Smart manufacturing
BENEFITS FOR MEMBERS
- Industry-led decision-making
- Accelerated innovation
- Value-added solutions
- Direct access to students
- Rapid access to research results
- Cross-learning and best practice sharing
- Collaborative efforts and combined resources
- Leverage from various funding agencies
SPECIFIC BENEFITS FOR SUPPLIERS
- Expanded exposure and consideration of your company’s products and technologies
- Real-world research projects benefitting both steel producers and suppliers
- Opportunities to expand and deepen relationships with steel producers
- Leverage of CIVS relationships with affiliated industries
- Work with steel producers and suppliers to improve global competitiveness
- Validation of your new products and technologies for improved efficiency and optimization
- Utilization of government and national labs resources
- Collaboration with complementary companies for funding leverage
- Customized solutions for your steel related business
The work of the consortium will be coordinated and operated by the Center for Innovation through Visualization and Simulation (CIVS) at Purdue University Northwest.
Dr. Chenn Zhou, director of CIVS, will serve as the director of the consortium. CIVS will provide support and staffing for the administration of the consortium.
The Board of Directors will oversee the initiatives and activities of the consortium and set policies designed to facilitate the consortium’s achievement of its mission and objectives.
The Advisory Steering Committee will provide advice to the consortium director and act as a sounding board to the director representing the interest of the consortium.
The Business Industry Leadership Team, who are industry executives, have established the charter, vision, mission, and values for the consortium.
Interested parties should contact Dr. Chenn Q. Zhou at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1.219.989.2765. You can find examples of successful simulation and visualization projects online at centers.pnw.edu/civs.