News on Consortium activities and the steel industry.
- CIVS Gave an Invited Webinar to the Smart Manufacturing Leadership Coalition March 2, 2016
The Smart Manufacturing Leadership Coalition an organization that addresses manufacturing-related challenges across the automotive, food, military, materials, chemical, oil and gas, refining, pharmaceutical, information technology, process control and automation industries reached out to Dr. Zhou for an update to showcase the simulation and visualization technologies being developed at CIVS.
- Dr. Zhou Informs the SMLC on the State-of-the-Art Simulation and Visualization Technology at CIVS February 26, 2016
The Smart Manufacturing Leadership Coalition, an organization that addresses manufacturing-related challenges across the automotive, food, military, materials, chemical, oil and gas, refining, pharmaceutical, information technology, process control and automation industries reached out to Dr. Zhou for an update on the emerging technologies of simulation and visualization being advanced at CIVS. Dr. Zhou provided ...
- Project Aims to Optimize SSAB Slab Reheating Furnace February 10, 2016
As part of the steel production process, steel slabs are often reheated in order to elevate their temperature. Before the hot rolling process, the steel slabs are heated to approximately 1,500K, and this reheating is one of the most energy consuming processes in steel product manufacturing. By developing a better understanding of the operation of ...
- Research at Purdue Calumeta��s CIVS Earns National Award January 20, 2016
The paper, titled a�?Investigation of Co-Injection of Natural Gas and Pulverized Coal in a Blast Furnace,a�? will receive the Association for Iron and Steel Technologya��s (AIST) 2016 Josef S. Kapitan Award-Ironmaking, May 16 at the AIST conference in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- SMSVCa��s 1st Annual Board of Directors Meeting Brings Forth Research Agenda December 8, 2015
The consortium held its first annual board of directors meeting bringing together representatives from all current charter member organizations to decide the projects that the consortium will work on.
- SMSVC Grows, Adds Union Gas Limited December 2, 2015
Union Gas is now the newest company to join the Steel Manufacturing Simulation and Visualization Consortium (SMSVC) as a charter member.
- AIST Press Release: Making, Shaping and Treating of Steel® Wheel December 1, 2015
The Association for Iron & Steel Technology released a press release describing their collaboration with CIVS on the creation of the Making, Shaping and Treating of SteelA� Wheel. View the press release (PDF)
- Praxair Joins SMSVC December 1, 2015
Praxair, a leading supplier of industrial gases to the steel industry, has joined the Steel Manufacturing Simulation and Visualization Consortium (SMSVC) as a charter member. Praxair products supplied to the steel industry include pipeline volumes of oxygen, nitrogen and argon sourced from air, and hydrogen and carbon dioxide from reformed natural gas.
- Director Zhou Supports 1st TMS Summit on IMMI November 19, 2015
Dr. Chenn Zhou, director of CIVS, attended the 1st Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) Summit on Integrated Manufacturing and Materials Innovations held November 15-18, 2015 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Dr. Zhou presented two papers titled a�?The Integration of Advanced Simulation and Visualization for Manufacturing Process Optimizationa�? and a�?Comprehensive Numerical Modeling of the Blast Furnace ...
- EDITORIAL: NWI Needs to Cultivate Manufacturing Workers October 20, 2015
Northwest Indiana has long been proud of its industrial might, and deservedly so. That muscle must not be allowed to atrophy. We must pay attention to manufacturers’ future workforce needs.